
So on Sunday in RS we talked about Baptism. The teacher started out by asking "Why were you baptized?" I don't share much in RS, but I almost blurted out "because I was 8 and that was the thing to do!" go figure someone else beat me too it! haha.
But really that was what I remember. I remember having a conversation with a girl at school about getting baptized. I can't really remember if it was her turning 8 or I, but I do remember she had no idea what baptism was and asked why I was being baptized. I remember thinking or saying "well because that is what happens when you turn 8."
I also remember the bishop interview. The bishop asked me what my favorite Book of Mormon story was and I proceeded to tell him the Joseph Smith story. Yeah I'm not sure I could say I had a testimony of the gospel at that age.
I also remember getting baptized in a white dress my mom made me(see picture). I show up for the baptism and all my many friends that were getting baptized that same day had on the little jumpers they still have for everyone. They kept telling me I needed to change, but it turns out I didn't. I'm not even sure it is allowed now, but I got baptized in a dress. Much harder to get all of that under the water, but we did it the first try. I also got confirmed a Member of the church the next day in Sacrament meeting, which I know doesn't happen with an eight year old anymore.
Though I wouldn't say I had a testimony of things when I was eight, I am thankful I got baptized when I did(21 years ago this month). I wonder sometimes where my life would be without the gospel. Even though my life has had it's up and downs and I have gone in and out of activity in our church over the past Decade, I am thankful to know that there is always repentance and forgiveness and I always have the Holy ghost to lead me back to the truth.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your testimony :) I keep missing out on Relief Society so it's nice to hear a little bit of what was taught.
I love the dress your mom made! The thing I remember most was how nervous I was, I was really shy so I wasn't happy about having everyone looking at me. The minute my foot touched the water I was completely calm inside and then it was fine. Thanks for the memories! ;)
Post a Comment